Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Changing Cat Food

When Gemini was a tiny cat, she was so scared and little that I was worried she wouldn't eat. I put canned cat food on my finger and had to brush it on her mouth to get her to lick it off before she realized it was food. Then she about ate my finger! Her legs were so short she had to crawl into the soup bowl to eat her food.

I tried adding in dry food--hiding it in the canned food, but from that time on, she was pretty much hooked. She eats dry food a little. She at least recognizes it as food. I have tried cat treats and she doesn't get that they are food. In fact, she didn't even quite get that tuna was food. I'm not real worried about this at this point. She's a bit young to be sampling other foods just yet. And well, my last cat always got human food and he was a Taco Bell fan. You didn't eat Taco Bell in the same room with him. You always fed him his stuff and then ate yours out of reach...

I am concerned that I will be stuck feeding canned food forever though. I am slowly weaning her off the canned food thing. It's taking awhile. I hate being a mean owner/parent and tend to give into my cats. Still it's so much easier to just feed dry food and in some ways it's better for them. I'd rather feed them raw food as a supplement than canned cat food, no matter how good and organic it is! One of these days I'll just have to take the plunge. I'm sure the cats will hate me for awhile, but I'm sure they'll get it eventually...

No comments: