Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Old Kitty Constipation

Georgia has been straining to have bowel movements. I was worried and at first thought I would rush her in but she's been better now and so I am taking her in to the naturopathic vet the first part of next week. Constipation is not uncommon in older kitties. Certainly any cat can get constipated and the most common cause is furballs.
In older cats, constipation can be a sign that their kidneys are not functioning properly and they don't stay hydrated well enough and so their stools become very dry and very hard. The regular vet is unlikely to have any advice beyond fiber (which she gets) so I figured the naturopathic vet might have more creative ideas. She's such a wonderful cat that I want her to live as long and as healthy a life as possible.

No comments: