Sunday, August 21, 2005

Mindful Kittens

Kittens are funny. I watched her playing with one of her catnip mice earlier today, wondering why the tail seems longer. It appears that she has ripped off half the cloth so that it is falling apart and stuffing comes out in pieces as she play now. I should note that I purchased this particular catnip mouse for an older cat who has long since passed on about 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, that cat did play with the catnip mouse, and so did my other cat who is still with us, but apparently without the enthusiasm of the kitten.

Kittens are wonderful zen teachers. They are always fully in the moment when they play. Nothing distracts them. I have a small Buddha who sits on my desk and it mostly lands on the floor, now, being a great cat toy. I let Gemini play with Buddha as I figure the real one would not begrudge a tiny cat a bit of fun in the moment. And she is always mindful as she plays with the toy, until the next toy comes along!

When Gemini is tired, she is tired and sleeps, wherever and whenever. When she is hungry, you know. When she wants to play, she plays. Whatever she wants to play with gets played with, no matter that it’s the pen you are using to pay a bill or the earring you are trying to fasten in your ear. When you are angry with her for pulling on the earring you are fastening or messing up the check you are writing, she just looks at you with her big yellow green eyes as if to say, who me? It’s very hard to be unhappy with her.

I try very hard to be mindful of these moments and enjoy them with her. It’s tough when I have bills to pay and work to run off to. Still, it reminds me that within the busy-ness of our life, we should also find time to have fun.

No comments: