Wednesday, August 31, 2005

How Gemini got her name

Before I got Gemini I had had a happy three cat home. One of my cats, named after a book character, was called Ingold Inglorian. He was a large orange tabby. He was also in kidney failure. About two weeks before finding Gemini he finally died. He was at home with me and went as peacefully as any ornery old curmudgeon could.

I also had a lovely lilac point Siamese named Simone. She came to me when she was six years old. She was a bit neurotic but a lover. I had worried that there was something wrong but the vets never found anything. A little over a week after loosing my orange cat, she turned yellow. She was in liver failure. She died 10 days after Ingold.

Gemini showed up, as first a pathetic mew outside my very lonely home and then as a tiny baby cat of about 4 or 5 weeks. A friend found a program online that did anagrams. We put in Ingold and Simone and got all the anagrams. Gemini seemed most appropriate as she was filling the shoes of two other cats. We did get some other interesting names.

I quite like Noel and Isolde. While Soiling Demon might have been an appropriate name, it seemed rather inauspicious to name a cat that... however it did show up on our list of anagrams. Other names were there but I have long since forgotten. Once Gemini showed up, it just seemed appropriate for her. She does answer to her name and she is a very talkative cat (much like the astrological sign). She's also very smart (again living up to the sun sign).

I couldn't name the blog just Gemini as that name was taken. It didn't occur to me until too late to have called the blog Soiling Demon. Oh well.

No comments: